Monday, March 21, 2016

Thing 7: Wiki

After reading the information provided I decided to take a look at Wikipedia first since it is the most commonly used Wiki by all. When I use Wikipedia I just simply look for information provided and move on, I never thought of the website as a Wiki. Meaning, I never looked to see if others were entering and communally editing bits of text. I never thought about these bits of text can be viewed and edited by anyone who visits the wiki.

­It made me think of how I told my students they could use Wikipedia as a source for their research topics but now I'm glad I told them they had to find more than one researching tool. I started to wonder once finding out what a Wiki is all about is it okay for people just to go in and edit someone else's information on the page? Where does all the information come from? Is it reliable? What stops people from posting inappropriate things on a wiki? I'm now starting to have these concerns so I had to dig a little deeper to find out some answers.

Taking a look at the wikis provided I thought about the cooltoolsforschool website and remembered it was a wiki and how much I really enjoyed that page. Other wiki pages just listed the information but it wasn't like the new technology with fun and exciting things on the page to catch students attention. Wikis should come with some form of individuality, creativity, and hook for the different pages. I was interested in the educational wikis because it was something I could learn from and was interested in so it caught my attention but I will have to search for other wikis for the students.

I do like the Wiki examples because it is set up in a professional way, where I could quickly find the information I'm looking for.

I did find a few more creative Wikis to checkout:

http://www.teachersfirst.com/content/wiki/wikiideas1.cfm

http://www.techforteachers.net/wikis-in-the-classroom.html

No comments:

Post a Comment